In Top Tips

Which Sparring Equipment Do I Need?

For WTF (World Taekwondo Federation) Taekwondo you need a full body set of sparring equipment. This consists of a Hogu (body protector), helmet, shin pads, arm pads, mouth guard, groin guard, foot pads and gloves.

body protector sparring equimpent

Body Protector

Taekwondo Helmet


Taekwondo shin pads

Shin Pads

Taekwondo arm pads

Arm pads

Taekwondo mouthguard

Gum shield

taekwondo groin guard

Groin guard

Taekwondo Foot Pad

Foot pad

taekwondo gloves


Why do I need sparring equipment?

To participate in WTF sparring competitions, seminars, gradings and classes, each student must wear full equipment when needed. The equipment greatly reduces the risk of injury and impact (plus keeps the sparring fun!).

We have spare equipment for lower level belts to borrow, but is generally recommended to purchase your own once you progress further up the belt levels.

At DAN Taekwondo School we follow the rules and guidelines set by British Taekwondo. All sparring equipment must be worn and must have the WTF logo of endorsement on to comply with the insurance terms.

Where can I get it?

Sparring equipment can be expensive to purchase so we offer discounts as we receive special club rates.

There are many types of brands that offer sparring equipment such as Kwon, Daedo, Adidas. Each has a different price range so we always source the best quality for the best price possible.

Which size is best for me?

Each part of the equipment needs to cover the protected area and still give you a good range of mobility. A large Hogu (body protector) on a small person can give a bigger range of protection but they will not be able to move much (like wearing a turtle shell!).

Recent Posts
how to clean the dobok and sparring gear